Eat Skinny: Whole Wheat Carrot Pancakes Recipe
Happy day after a long weekend, friends! I would say Tuesday but I’m sure that sums it up better. How was everyone’s weekend? Mine was good. Did some crafting, some gardening, some hiking. In addition, I also made these amazing whole wheat carrot pancakes.
But, before we hop on over to that recipe, I want to share a few pictures from our hike yesterday. We went to Great Falls National Park in Va. Although it was sweltering, we couldn’t have asked for a better day. I could hike every hour on the hour and never tire of it.
I just love living in Virginia! Now, let’s talk pancakes.
Now, when I teased a photo to my lovely Facebook fans yesterday, a few of you thought these were sweet potato. Which gave me a really good idea for another pancake idea, so thanks for that! But no, these were made from some beautiful carrots I picked up at the farmers market.
I woke up Saturday not feeling well. At all. So clearly, the way to make anyone feel better is through food. And, the way to make me feel better is healthy food. I know, I have a sickness. But even I was a little skeptical of this recipe. But hey, carrots in cake is really good, carrot muffins are awesome and I’ve had a carrot cookie before that sort of rocked my world. These will certainly be just as good, right?
And just like it’s cousins the cake, cookie and muffin, these pancakes are delicious! Moist and fluffy with just a hint of carrot flavor. Served with a dab of fresh maple syrup and some butter, this stack o’ pancakes is the perfect way to kick start your weekend.
Or just your day. I mean, who said you can’t have pancakes every day of the week? I think these would make Monday (or in this case, days that feel like Monday) a little bit brighter, dontcha think?
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen who adapted theirs from Joy the Baker.
Whole Wheat Carrot Pancakes
Yields about 7 – 8 pancakes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 4 – 5 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash of salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (can use cinnamon)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 1 organic egg
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup light cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrots
- In a small bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice together. Add in walnuts and mix well.
- In a large bowl, mix egg, carrots, brown sugar, milk, cream and vanilla, whisk until mixture is fully combined. Add flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix well.
- In a large pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, add about 1/4 cup mixture to the pan. Once the top of the batter starts bubbling, flip using a wide spatula and cook until both sides are golden brown, about 4 – 5 minutes. Serve with butter and maple syrup and enjoy!
Nutritional information per pancake:
Fat: 3.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 23.5 grams
Fiber: 0.75 grams
Weight Watchers Points Plus Points: 4