Or better known as this.
and in some cultures, is also known as this.
But in my house? It’s most commonly referred to and depicted as this.
Which I call “being devoured,” or “half-eaten.” I’m not going to be coy anymore or play frank little games here guys. This cake here?
Needs to be made by any and all who read this. I’ll give you a few easy reasons.
- It’s sinfully delicious. Like, it’s almost unholy how good this cake is.
- Um, it has Guinness. Beer cake, as you may know, > regular cake.
- It has less than 170 calories and 6 grams of fat per serving.
I’m not jesting you friends. I promise. I’m being serious. This cake literally has less than 6 grams of fat per serving.
That ooey gooey chocolate cake in front of your eyes there? I’ll say it again. LESS THAN 6 GRAMS OF FAT PER SERVING. So now that you know that, you’re probably asking “how the h is that even possible?” And I’ll give you that, valid question. But, the answer is simple.
Applesauce in place of butter. Unlike this Blue Moon cake, I didn’t sub out all the butter for applesauce. Instead, I just subbed out 3 tablespoons and still used 1 tablespoon of butter. You save, like, a trillion calories and fat grams doing this. I also did this because I knew I was going to be adding in calories due to the use of Guinness.
This dessert is PERFECT for St. Patty’s Day. It’s also perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. And is even more perfect paired with Guinness. With so much perfect going on here, what’s stopping you from making it?
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light.
Dark Chocolate Guinness Bundt Cake
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
For the cake:
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup Guinness
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips (semi sweet)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons Guinness
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350F. Liberally grease a 6 cup bundt pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugars, salt, cocoa powder and baking soda and stir well. Add in softened butter, applesauce, vanilla, egg whites and egg and beat with a hand held mixer until fully combined. Using a wooden spoon, fold in Guinness and chocolate chips until batter thickens a bit.
- Pour mixture into the bundt pan and bake for 35 – 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out dry. Let dry on a wire cooling rack before glazing.
- Prepare glaze by microwaving chocolate, butter and Guinness in a microwave safe dish for about 1 1/2 minutes, stopping to stir at 30 seconds. Using a spoon, drizzle glaze over the cake and dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
Guilt free cakes are my favorite. Especially when they have beer!
Nutritional information per 1/8 slice:
Fat: 5.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 35 grams
Fiber: 1.8 grams
Protein: 5 grams
Weight Watchers Points Plus Points: 6 points