Happy Groundhog Day, friends!
I know, it’s not a real holiday but I like it anyway. As a kid, I would get abnormally excited for Groundhog Day. For one, the elementary school I went to always did it big. We had decorations, the moms brought in groundhog shaped cookies and we’d count down to see if Phil would predict 6 more weeks of winter (which I always wanted for snow day purposes) or an early spring. Then (when we were old enough) we got to watch the movie with Bill Murray BEFORE we had to do our homework. It was awesome.
Times are a little different now, of course. But, I’m still holding onto the kid in me by watching Groundhog Day while I work and eating cookies for breakfast. I know…what a rebel I am. Except, instead of groundhog shape cookies, I’m eating these skinny [AND VEGAN] double chocolate cookies.
No relation to Groundhog Day, but still absolutely delicious. They were thin with a bit of a crispy edge, but such a delicious soft and gooey inside. The perfect cookie made with absolutely NO dairy.
Not a bad way to celebrate any day, better yet Groundhog! My favorite thing about these cookies is how thin they are! I’m a huge fan of thin, crispy cookies. I’d much prefer this kind over the huge, thick, chunky kind any day. Plus, the thinner & smaller, the more you can have, right?!
I know, I’m a completely hopeless case. However, you should all be proud. I’ve only had ONE cookie today. And….a heaping spoonful of cookie dough last night but that’s neither here nor there. But I mean, look at these beautiful cookies, do you blame me?
I didn’t think so. Now, go enjoy Groundhog Day and enjoy a batch of these, STAT! Or, just make them regardless of your preference for furry weather predictin’ rodents.
Recipe adapted from Oh She Glows.
Vegan Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yields: About 4 1/2 dozen cookies
Prep time: >10 minutes
Cook time: About 9 minutes
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup raw sugar
- 1 “egg” (2 tablespoons water + 1 tablespoon organic oil + 2 teaspoons baking powder)*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 heaping tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (like these!)
- Using a handheld mixer, beat Earth Balance until soft and fluffy. Add sugar and beat until creamed. Beat in the “egg” mixture and vanilla. In another bowl, sift flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder together. Add to the Earth Balance mixture. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Chill in a refrigerator for at least 2 hours. *
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Using a teaspoon, spoon cookie dough onto the baking sheet and spread about 1/2 inch apart. Bake for about 9 minutes. Let cool on the sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
*For perfect cookies, place the dough in the fridge in between using it. This will keep the cookies from flattening.
*I didn’t have flax seed, so I looked up a different egg substitute for this cookies on PETA’s website. For additional alternatives, look here!
Serve with soy milk and enjoy! Just don’t say I didn’t warn you that these are addictive because they are. I recommend hiding them somewhere unreachable after you’ve had one.
Nutritional information per cookie: About 135 calories, 7 grams of fat, 19 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of fiber, >1 gram of protein and 4 Weight Watchers Points Plus points.