WHEW. What a week. But, I have a feeling my weeks are going to get even crazier with what I have on tap in February. Take a gander at my 1/2 full calendar.
Luckily, I love what I do! However, it’s still a little daunting seeing that calendar and realize how much I have to cook, bake, photograph, assemble, stage and edit. But, that’s still a few days away so I’m going to TRY to enjoy my weekend. And what better way to kick off the weekend than with some fast food?
Healthy fast food, that is! My blog friend Mooshu Jenne came up with the brilliant idea to have a day dedicated to sharing our favorite fast food items, made over healthier and at home! Saving money AND staying svelte? Sign me up! We are hosting this every Friday so PLEASE join in!
To kick off this feature, I made something easy, delicious and a HUGE favorite of E’s…buffalo chicken nuggets!
These spicy little nuggets look and taste like the kind you get at Mickey D’s, except are made with real chicken and real breadcrumbs. I don’t know about you, but I like knowing exactly what’s going into my body, especially given the volatile nature of my internal organs.
E gobbled these up in 60 seconds. Literally. I had to grab one before he bit my hand off! 🙂 They are crispy, juicy and tender and have a fabulous kick from the Buffalo sauce. These are so good on their own, but you can easily dip them in your favorite sauce.
Oh, and not only are they delicious, they are better for you than most since they are baked! 3 fried chicken strips have up to 400 calories and 18 grams of fat, while these baked kind have 200 calories and 7.5 grams of fat in 4! More for less, baby!
Baked Spicy Chicken Nuggets
Yields: 10 nuggets
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Marinating time: over night
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup of panko bread crumbs, plain
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed pepper
- 2/3 cup buffalo sauce (like Frank’s Red Hot)
- Cut each piece of chicken into 5 small nuggets or strips and place into a bowl. Pour sauce over them. Cover with foil and refrigerate over night, or at least 4 hours.
- When chicken is done marinating, preheat oven to 500F. Grease a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix breadcrumbs, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper in a bowl. Dip each nugget into the breadcrumbs and cover liberally. Place on cookie sheet. Repeat until all chicken is covered. Bake for 10 -12 minutes or until chicken is crispy. Enjoy!
You’ll never want the drive through version again!
Nutritional information per 4 nuggets: 200 calories, 7.5 grams of fat, 13 grams of carbohydrates, 1 gram of fiber, 25 grams of protein and 6 Weight Watchers points.