In addition to struggling with portion control, I also have another food based nemesis that always seems to get the best of me. And it’s name is chocolate. Now, add a dash of sea salt to said chocolate and I’m quivering at my knees and face planting into the cake, cookie or brownie batter.
I do have 20 pounds to lose, I am trying to control my portions and eat better, so I can’t just eat a bowl of brownie batter anymore and choc it up to a bad day (or a Tuesday). But, I’m not going to give it up. Elimination diets don’t really work and I’m not about completely cutting out a food group. So instead, when my craving came a-knockin’ last night for a sweet, salty chocolate brownie, I gave in. But did some magic in the kitchen first 🙂
World? Meet my new love, skinny salted chocolate brownies.
We met last night and it was love at first bite. The brownie is SO FUDGEY, so chocolaty, so rich and has just the right amount of saltiness. I can’t even talk about it, they are so good.
Aren’t they just the prettiest, most delicious looking things you ever did see? I found the original recipe for low fat brownies on Baking Bites and of course, had to make them salted. Honestly, is there a better combination than salt and chocolate? I don’t know how on earth I went so long before I tried this incredible combination.
Thankfully, I have a husband whose sweet tooth is even greater than mine so these delicious devils will be gone before I can eat them all. Even if he ate all of them, he’d somehow lose weight. Where as I gain weight just by looking at a french fry. Le sigh. But that’s another point entirely.
Skinny Salted Chocolate Brownies
Yields: 12 – 14 brownies
Prep time: >10 minutes
Cook time: About 22 minutes
What You’ll Need:
- 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk*
- 1 -2 tablespoons water*
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt
*I remade these since many of the readers said it came out dry. The extra tablespoon of milk and water helped make it more fudgy.
How to Make Them:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease an 8 inch x 8 inch glass pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and cocoa. Make a well with a spoon and set aside.
- In another medium bowl, add chocolate and butter. Microwave on high for one minute, stir, and microwave for another 30 -60 seconds. Add sugar and mix until creamed. Add in condensed milk, egg, water, egg white and vanilla, stirring until fully combined. Pour the chocolate mixture into the well of the flour mixture and stir until there are no flour streaks.
- Pour batter into the greased pan. Sprinkle additional salt over the batter and bake for at least 22 minutes. Chill brownies for at least an hour so they firm up. Enjoy!
Nutritional information per brownie: 125 calories, 2 grams of fat, 31 grams of carbohydrates, >1 gram of fiber and 1.8 grams or protein.