Eat Skinny Be Skinny: Spicy A** Stir Fry
Happy FRIDAY!!! I feel like doing a joyous Irish jig right now. Not only is it Friday, but I just have one more week before I’m home for the holidays and one more week of my full-time 9-5er! I love my contracting job and it’s taught me SO MUCH about life and my profession, but I’m just ready for this next chapter.
Normally I do my five things today but I knew I just HAD to share the recipe for the spicy a** stir fry I made last night. Seriously, when I say spicy, I mean it. My mouth is on fire (I brought leftovers for lunch.)
Looks innocent enough, right? WRONG. The culprit of the insane spiciness lies in the bottle of sauce to the right.
They weren’t lying when they said “hot and spicy.” These delicious sauces (including the super spicy one) are from the CJ Foodville’s Bibigo Korean food line! Formula PR, who I worked with on the CalNaturale wine and Sun Maid Raisin articles, was kind enough to send me a box full of these goodies to taste test and try out! Well, I couldn’t wait to try out their sauces so last night I decided to whip up a stir fry, using their hottest sauce! [I know, I’m crazy].
I paired the stir fry with their delicious sticky rice (which already came cooked, life savers) and another special ingredient! If you are anything like my husband, you’re probably wondering what the heck the green stuff is on top. His exactly response “what is the green squishy stuff?” That, my friends, is the special ingredient!
That’s right, dried seaweed! I think you are supposed to eat these like chips, but that freaks me out. I’m all for healthy eating but I’m not quite to the level where I’m comfortable eating dried plants. So I decided to chop them up and stick them in the stir fry. Even if you hate seaweed (which, it has no flavor so I don’t see how you could) the sauce definitely overpowers anything.
I’m not complaining though, I love spicy food. And this wasn’t just hot either, it had such a delicious undertone of roasted peppers. Plus, there was a hidden sweetness too. Although each bite slapped me in the face, it was totally worth the mouth beating. I’m so eager to try their other sauces, including an intriguing pineapple flavor! Visit the website and find a way to buy these sauces. You can tell they are authentic and contain no fake flavors or added perservatives.
Oh and if the delicous taste isn’t enough to have you crazy for Bibigo, spicy stuff speeds up your metabolism and causes you to eat less overall. Dishes with spicy food (like this one) can increase your metabolism by 8%. Plus, a study done by the NY Times found that a group of men who were fed hot sauce before their meals went on to eat 200 calories less the entire day than those who weren’t. Talk about eat skinny be skinny, right?
Spicy A** Stir Fry
Yields: 6 1/2 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: About 20 minutes
- 2 large chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced and copped
- 1 cup of baby corn
- 1 cup of broccoli florets, chopped
- 3 cups of sticky white rice (or brown if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup of spicy stir fry sauce (Bibigo if you have it!)
- Dried seaweed for garnish
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a wok, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add carrots, broccoli, baby corn and bell pepper and cook until soft, about 8 minutes. Reduce heat to warm.
- In another pan, heat other tablespoon of oil. Place chicken in pan and cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until fully cooked. Add to vegetables.
- Pour sauce over vegetable, chicken mixture and season with salt and pepper. Add additional salt and sauce for taste. Garnish with seaweed and serve over rice!
Nutritional information per 1/2 cup: 250 calories, 10 grams of fat, 22 grams of protein, 20 grams of carbohydrates and 5 grams of fiber.