Howdy friends! I’m in a very Christmas-y mood today. Which, given my mood yesterday, is a VAST improvement. I think it could be because I watched Christmas Vacation last night or because I was jamming to Michael Buble’s AHHHMAZING Christmas album as I did the dishes this morning. However, I think the culprit of my jubilant Christmas spirit might be because I made this.
So what is this, you ask? This peppermint sprinkled mug with the pretty blue bow?
Why, it’s a low fat hot chocolate cake mug with fat free cream cheese icing, of course. Now why would I bake my cake in a mug? Well, for starters, it’s freakin’ cute.
And, because it’s hot chocolate cake, what else would you serve it in? You can gift wrap these up and give them away for holiday gifts or grab a fork and dig right in. (Clearly the route I took.) Each forkful is moist and chocolate-y and has a seasonal crunch because of the sprinkled peppermint.
Plus, the cake is made with no oil or butter and the delicious frosting is whipped with low-fat cream cheese. A diet friendly and adorable dessert! You can also serve these in jars if you have no mugs. They make fabulous party favors, party desserts or Christmas presents!
Just a word of warning, it’s um, SUPER EASY to eat an entire mug in a sitting. I didn’t, of course, but I um, heard, from other people that it can be done. But can you blame them? It’s portable cake! I’ll argue you are supposed to eat the whole thing in one sitting. I mean, you don’t just sip half of a glass of hot chocolate, right? I didn’t eat a whole though, just, arguing the other side.
Hot chocolate cake mugs (and jars)
Yields: 12 slices of cake (equivalent to 4 mugs (or jars)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 36-40 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar (separated)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate powder (unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup regular temperature water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- 6 peppermint candies, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 3 medium size glass mugs (or jars) with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Sift flour, one cup of sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, corn starch and salt together into a medium bowl. In another bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla, 1/4 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar. Stir into dry ingredients and mix until fully combined.
- Add boiling water list, stirring until all mixed in. (Batter will be thin).
- Pour batter into mugs and jars about 2/3-3/4 full. (I did 2/3 and it came out perfect). Careful not to fill all the way or the batter will overflow in the oven.
- Place jars in the oven and bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick that is inserted comes out dry. Let cakes cool completely before frosting.
- Once cooled, frost with low fat cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle with peppermint candy and enjoy!