I don’t remember the last time I was THIS excited for Friday. As you may have read, this week was tough. Emotionally, physically, the whole shi-bang. A lot of tears were shed. However, I woke up today feeling invigorated and excited. I woke up with a feeling that everything was going to be okay. I don’t why this change of emotions or this new perspective, but it’s definitely very enlightening. Sometimes you have to get lost in the dark before you can see the light, right? Or something like that? So thank you all, again, for your kind words as I try to rebuild my life, one credit card payment at a time.
1. This quote changed my life last night. Not because it’s super inspirational or uplifting, but because it’s true and I can whole-heartedly agree.
“You know what I love about cooking? I love that after a day when nothing is sure, and when I say nothing I mean nothing, you can come home and absolutely know that if you add egg yolks to chocolate to sugar and milk, it will get thick. That’s such a comfort.” –Julie and Julia
On a day like yesterday, when I felt down, helpless and sad, I knew that when I added eggs to sugar to milk in my muffins last night, it was going to cream. When I added flour, the recipe would thicken and when I added chocolate, it would darken and sweeten.
It’s such an unbelievable comfort knowing that when things are completely unsure and confusing in every other aspect of your life, making muffins will always be absolute. I’ve also learned that when you swirl chocolate with pumpkin, you will make the most delicious thing known to man. Truth. [recipe up next week!]
2. You should make this whole Oktoberfest menu this weekend. And I’m not just saying that because I’m the genius behind it. The bread is INCREDIBLE, the salad is fabulous and the pork?
OH the pork. It’s orgasmic. The cabbage and the bacon add the most delicious flavor, plus the beer baste makes the pork SO unbelievably moist and flavorful. I would sacrafice 20 years of life and a heart to eat this everyday.
3. I must be crazy. I’m going to a haunted maze and cornfield this weekend. But that’s not the crazy part. So, I’m not driving. We are taking a bus, sponsoredy by Living Social, and are being driven out to some orchard in WEST VIRGINIA to pumpkin pick and then, as my dear friend Melanie says, have our organs harvested. Whether I lose my kidneys and wake up in a bath tub full of ice or not, I’m thrilled. I love haunted anything and I’m a Halloween JUNKIE. Even though I’m easily scared (just ask my husband) I love being scared. I know, I’m weird.
4. I’m getting really excited for Halloween baking!! I’ve already book marked these AMAZINGLY cute (and delicious looking) recipes from around the web. I love how creative this food-blogging community is!
Eye ball cupcakes [via Better Homes and Gardens]
Mini cauldron cakes [via Love from My Oven]
Ghost cake [I am Baker]
Halloween Oreo Cupcakes [Love From the Oven]
White chocolate bones [via Food Mayhem]
5. I’m not usually a very quote obsessed person or someone who tries to find meaning in other people’s words, but lately, I’ve really found comfort in some of the inspirational quotes I’ve been reading. Especially the ones from Steve Jobs. Here’s a man who, literally, changed the way we live from his garage. His words are really powerful and he was an incredible person. It’s hard not to be moved by his words, you know? In addition to his quotes, here are a few others I found on Pinterest. Maybe they’ll bring you the clarity and strength you need to keep going.
Have a truly life-changing, amazing weekend friends. In the words of Mr. Jobs, live your BEST life. You only have one of em :)