I absolutely love salsa. I love the word, salllllllllsssa. I love the taste and the texture. I love that you get it for “free” just by going to a Mexican restaurant. I love that you can have it mild, medium or HOT. And I love it because it’s so perty, don’t ya think?
If you were wondering (which you were, don’t lie) yes, that is a spoon in the salsa. And no, I didn’t use the spoon to stir or serve. I used said utensil to shovel nearly 1/2 of the salsa violently into my mouth. The salsa that I originally made to go on tacos. Whoops. That’s a sign of a good recipe, though, don’t you think?
I proceeded to eat about another 1/4 a cup until I realized there was very little left to top the delicious chicken tacos I prepared for dinner. So, at this point, I could either put all of the remaining salsa on my husband’s taco (since I ate my fair share) or split it in two so we could both enjoy it as a meal, which was my full intention.
Guess which option I went with?
I poured the rest of the salsa onto my taco and immediately
ate engulfed it before he came up for dinner.
“Just chicken and cheese? Don’t we have anything else to go on there?”
With a mouthful of glorious salsa, “No. Just chicken and cheese.”
It was a shameful moment in my life but I do not regret a single second (or single .7 pounds I gained that night). Because friends, this stuff, is JUST THAT GOOD. Oh, and the tacos weren’t so bad, either
Chicken Tacos with Tomato, Cucumber and Avocado Salsa
What You’ll Need:
For the tacos:
- Fresh corn tortillas, heated up
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream to taste
- 3/4 cucumber, chopped
- 1 1/2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado, seeded and chopped
- 1 lime, 1/2 squeezed, 1/2 saved for garnish
- fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
How to Make Them:
- Heat olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add chicken and spices (chili powder through salt and pepper) and heat, stirring occasionally, until chicken is fully cooked through. Take off heat and set aside.
- Chop tomatoes, cucumbers and avocado.
- In a medium bowl, mix together chopped tomatoes, avocado and cucumber. Squeeze lime juice over mixture and mix thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the tortillas in the microwave for about 30 seconds – 1 minute. Or, if you’d prefer, heat on a grill.
- Place chicken and cheese on the tortilla. Add salsa (if there’s any left), sour cream and extra salt and pepper and garnish with limes. Enjoy!