Because of my recent honeymoon weight gain, I’ve been extra diligent with my diet. So instead of having a few indulgences a week, I’ve cut my fatty foods intake to only once a week. And this past Saturday was my glorified sweets day because I had an insatiable appetite for vanilla cupcakes with buttercream frosting. Not just any ol’ vanilla cupcakes either, vanilla funfetti cupcakes. As you know, I’m sort of obsessed with funfetti. This craving came over me this past weekend and I got a serious urge to unleash my inner Martha and whip up a batch. Normally I pair cupcakes with my light cream cheese frosting so they aren’t as decadent. However, this weekend I decided to light up the cake and fatten up the frosting. Which is why it’s definitely an indulgent kind of dessert! Plus, I bought the cutest cupcake wrappers and Easter themed toppers which I was dying to use.
I know, aren’t those just the cutest little things you ever did see? Those cupcake toppers are so adorable, I wish I was crafty enough to make them myself! Not only did these look fabulous, they tasted even better! The cake was so moist and still had all of the flavor of a full-fat cuppie cake. The buttercream, as expected, was heavenly. It was creamy, buttery and sweet, absolutely to die for. PS: We have a FUN giveaway lined up for tomorrow, stay tuned!
Light Vanilla Funfetti Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting
What You’ll Need:
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 16 ounces of confectioners’ sugar
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons milk, plus up to 2 tablespoons more if you need it
- Food coloring
How to Make Them:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a muffin tin with cupcake wrappers.
- In a small bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients until well combined.
- In a large bowl, using a mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add in the egg and vanilla, and beat until smooth.
- Add half of the flour mixture, stir, pour in buttermilk, stir.
- Mix in sprinkles and stir in, carefully.
- Distribute evenly in muffin cups, filling about 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- While cupcakes are cooling, prepare frosting. In large bowl, with mixer at medium-low speed, beat sugar, butter, vanilla, and 4 tablespoons milk until blended. Beat until light and fluffy on medium speed, occasionally scraping bowl. Once frosting is mixed, add a few squirts of red food coloring to create the pink color!
- Frost and decorate with toppers! (or just eat, which works too!)
These cupcakes are SO moist and delicious. And the frosting is just the right amount of sweet without causing a cavity. I will definitely be making these again!
Nutritional Information per cupcake: 320 cupcakes, 12 grams of fat, 40 grams of carbohydrates and 4 grams of protein.