This cheesy, decadent and oh-so-easy slow cooker mac n’ cheese is the ultimate in easy comfort food!
It’s comfort food season after all, y’all!
I’ve been practicing my best Southern accent since arriving in Charleston and, despite my husband’s mocking laughs, I think I’m getting pretty good at it. Now, the whole beautiful Southern belle thing is still a work in progress (she says with her hair in yet another messy bun, wearing the same flour-stained yoga pants as yesterday). However, I will say I’m mastering my Southern cooking skills – just peep this ultra creamy, ultra delicious slow cooker mac n’ cheese! Now, I know a proper Southern lady wouldn’t use a crock pot, but this “fancy lady in training” is still juggling 3 jobs so..
It’s amazing how quickly I’m adapting to life in the South. Things move a little slower here and I’m finding it easier than I thought to shake my DC-aggression and go with the flow. The other day, hubs and I went to visit an amazing little craft brew bar. Now, it was a Wednesday night and service was SLOW. Like, real slow. But instead of turning into anger from Inside Out, I found myself just enjoying the moment.
That is not something that would have happened in DC. I would have huffed and puffed until someone paid attention to me. I find every interaction and encounter down here immensely less stressful. That’s not to say I don’t find myself yelling at a crazy driver on the road or tapping my foot when the old woman in front of me at the super market is paying all in nickels (TRUE STORY). I just find my tolerance has increased and I just don’t sweat the small stuff I used to.
Which, given the level of stress I was functioning at back in DC, is nothing but good news for my body. I no longer have to pop xanax every two seconds and find myself more relaxed and more level-headed.
However, that all could just because I’m in my “Charleston honeymoon phase.” Check back with me in 2 months and see if I’m still as relaxed and Southern minded as I am now.
Slow Cooker Mac N’ Cheese
Serves about 12. Slightly adapted from Taste of Home.
Prep time: About 15 minutes
Cook time: About 3 1/2 hours
Total time: 3 hours and 45 minutes
- 16 ounces rotini pasta
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (10 ounces) fat-free cream of mushroom soup
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups Cabot shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella – divided
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Add a dash of salt and noodles. Cook until al-dente, about 6 – 8 minutes. Rinse in cold water and immediately place into the basin of a crock pot. Drizzle the butter over the noodles.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the evaporated milk, cream of mushroom soup, chopped onion, 2 cups cheddar and 1 cup mozzarella, milk and beaten eggs. Whisk until fully combined. Mix in the chili powder and salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the noodles and stir to combine. Cover the mixture and cook for about 3 1/2 hours, or until thick and creamy. Add remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Cook another 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with additional parmesan cheese for zest and salt and pepper to taste.
Nutritional information per serving (about 1/2 – 2/3 cup)
Fat: 22.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 44 grams
Fiber: 3.2 grams
Protein: 21 grams
Weight Watchers Points +: 13