These adorable, delicious and bite-size mini nut & chocolate chip banana bread loaves are the perfect gift, snack or week day treat!
One thing I love about being in the food industry – the fact that every single day is dedicated to something. Today? Well, if you can infer from my post, it’s National Banana Bread Day. Now, I’m no stranger to this bread, as you see with my coconut blueberry banana bread and my banana nut zucchini muffins, but I thought it was time I made my favorite recipe a little more bite-size.
Yes, I’m talking mini and NO that food trend isn’t over. At least in my book. I know mini food had its heyday and now people are all “I want larger portions, rustic stuff and all the large bowls!” However, I’m all “gimme little so I can eat far more with less guilt.” I’m pretty sure that’s a mentality more of you, my dear friends, can get on board with.
So, in honor of a ridiculous, albeit delicious, food holiday, I whipped up mini loaves that are so cute you might die. Well, not die, but you get the hint.
Now, when it came to the filling, we had a small debate here in the Volkman household. My husband is a die-hard chocolate chip fan. His mom has been making banana bread for YEARS, always adding chocolate chips. Whereas I prefer just nuts. [Please infer as you must]. So, as a compromise, I added both.
Marriage, am I right? Whatever fillings you prefer, you’re going to love these mini loaves. Bite-size, super soft and moist and the absolute perfect midday snack. Or lunch. Or dinner. I won’t judge either way.
Mini Walnut & Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Loaves
Yields about 8 mini loaves. Adapted from Betty Crocker.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: About 35 minutes
Cool time: About 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour and 55 minutes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 1/2 cup mashed bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used a mix of walnuts and almonds)
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- Vanilla bean glaze for garnish (see this recipe)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 8 mini Le Creuset coquettes (or mini loaf pans) with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar and white sugar together until creamy. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the bananas, vanilla bean paste and cream.
- In another bowl, whisk the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour and baking soda together. Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture, beating well. Use a spatula to scrape the sides.
- Remove bowl from stand and mix in the nuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the greased pans, smoothing over with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes, then carefully remove. Place on a wire cooling rack and chill for another hour. Drizzle with vanilla bean glaze and serve with a few added nuts on top.
Nutritional information per serving (about 2 slices):
Fat: 3.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 14 grams
Fiber: >1 gram
Protein: >1 gram
Weight Watchers Points: 2
Make your own mini breads with these multi-use cocettes!