I’ve always been a huge sammie girl. When it comes to lunch preparation, I always flock to the deli counter and the side of the store with the fancy cheese in it. Of course as a kid I grew up eating American cheese and white bread, but I’m happy to admit my tastes have changed just a little bit.
Instead of white bread, I use French bread. Instead of American cheese, I use slices of Cabot horseradish cheese or fresh mozzarella. Instead of dicey turkey, I use Hormel Natural Choice Oven Roasted Deli Turkey. I also have amped up my condiment and topping game quite substantially, and my sandwiches always have a beautiful bouquet of veggies on top, like beets, radishes or fresh green sprouts.
When I was asked by Hormel to create some recipes using their new NATURAL CHOICE products and I quickly jumped at the opportunity. I’m a healthy girl and I love food that is preservative-free and nutritious, and these deli meats are exactly it – fresh and delicious without any extra crap mixed in.
I knew immediately I wanted to make a simple version of a French bread sub. I loaded it with cheese, topped with fresh sprouts and homemade mayo/mustard sauce. It was To. Die. For. It’s the kind of sandwich all other sandwiches want to be when they grow up, let me tell you that.
Roasted turkey, cheese & sprout sandwich
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 loaf French bread
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12 slices Hormel Natural Choice Oven Roasted Deli Turkey
- 9 slices sharp vintage cheddar cheese
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- Fresh green sprouts
- 2 large tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Slice the baguette into three equal parts and then slice in half. Spread with olive oil.
- Top one side with 4 slices of deli meat and 3 slices of cheese. Place the other bread slices on the same pan and bake for about 8 minutes, or until crispy and cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, whisk the Dijon mustard and mayo together.
- Remove the bread from the oven. Spread the top part of the baguette with Dijon/mayo mixture. Top with fresh greens and tomato slices.