Cheesy One Skillet Gnocchi
Ready for a meal that’s a total game changer?
I mean, clearly you are. It’s Tuesday. And it’s a fact that people crave game-changing meals on Tuesday.
I could completely be making that up out of exhaustion, but let’s roll with it. Lately I’ve been getting home closer to 7pm (instead of my normal 6:30) which throws a major wrench into my dinner plans. The hubby has been picking up the slack (and I must say – his cooking game is on point lately!) I know I shouldn’t complain, but truthfully, I miss cooking.
I was looking through some of my photos from the freelance days, and I actually felt a pang of sadness and nostalgia. Even though I had really had days cooking full time, I still have moments where I miss spending my days in the kitchen, whipping up dishes and recipes I was truly proud of. I’m not saying I’m not proud of my work now, but my recipes and my dishes were 100% me. They were a reflection of my life at that point and I can remember every moment of my life through the recipes I created.
I know that sounds cheesy, but it’s the honest-to-god truth. However, I will say the recipes I’ve been making over the weekends for this blog were made with that same spark. Sure, this one skillet cheesy gnocchi sounds like any ol’ one pot dish, but I’m pretty proud of it. It’s one of those dishes I made where I actually felt good about the entire thing – the fresh, seasonal ingredients, the amazing taste and how it photographed.
It may look like just a dish to you, but to me, it’s represents a little more. It shows that I still got it and my passion is still there, I just needed to find it again.
Cheesy One Skillet Gnocchi
Serves about 4.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 16 ounce package of gnocchi
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (red or yellow), peeled and chopped
- 1 large (I used an elephant garlic) clove, peeled and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings, not drained
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Fresh parmesan chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Add a dash of salt. Add in gnocchi and cook until they start to float to the top, about 6 – 7 minutes. Rinse in cold water and set aside.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook another 2 – 3 minutes. Mix in the garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Add the bell pepper and cook another 2 – 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, crushed red pepper and chopped basil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce starts to thicken up. Mix in gnocchi.
- Remove from heat and immediately top with fresh mozzarella and parmesan. Serve with additional fresh basil for garnish.
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat: 9.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 52 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Protein: 10 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 8
Tags:cheesy recipes, easy one pot meals, easy pasta dishes, gnocchi, one skillet meals, quick summertime food