These luscious apple & cranberry whole grain granola waffles are the perfect fall breakfast and brunch treats!
I am a walking cliche when it comes to fall.
My house is already decked out with my fall decor, including cute mini plush pumpkins, gold and pine cone accents, fresh fall flowers in every vase and a homemade burlap wreath adorned on the door. My cozy sweaters have already replaced the maxi dresses in my closet, I wear boots with just about everything now and I’m gearing up to dye my hair a vibrant shade of red. Whether my husband likes it or not, I’ve already scheduled our weekends until the end of November with pumpkin patch outings, apple picking, haunted houses and fall getaways to rustic cabins.
And I have absolutely NO shame in admitting that. Nor do I have shame for replacing my favorite summer recipes with hearty, apple and pumpkin filled masterpieces like this apple granola whole grain waffles.
Don’t get me wrong, I’ll miss those plump tomatoes and fresh zucchinis. But boy am I ready to bake all the things with pumpkins, apples and squash. I know that’s so cliche because apparently loving fall is like the “new” thing for girls in my age range, but I’ve loved fall before it was the thing to do. I grew up craving the crunch of leaves under my boots. I’d dance around outside in piles of leaves with my sweaters pulled over my fingers as my mom made chunky stews and my dad raked. Fall was my time. It was the one time I truly felt excited, nostalgic and me. I looked forward to fall the way most kids looked forward to Christmas and summer vacation.
So yes, I may be cliche, but it’s how I’ve always been. So call it whatever you like, but I’m going to continue to wear my yoga pants, drinking my PSLS and going to every single pumpkin patch in the Virginia, Maryland and DC region.
Apple & Cranberry Whole Grain Granola Waffles
Serves about 6. Inspired and adapted from All Recipes.
Prep time: 5 – 8 minutes
Cook time: 4 – 6 minutes
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 3/4 cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoons apple butter
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed meal
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 2/3 cup chopped apple
- 6 tablespoons dried cranberries
- About 1/4 cup apple blueberry granola (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- Preheat your waffle maker to medium and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, almond milk, apple butter, applesauce, vanilla extract and honey until fully mixed. In another bowl, whisk the flour, ground flax seed meal, almond meal, baking powder and apple pie spice together.
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, stirring until fully combined. Mix in the apple and cranberries.
- Pour batter (about 1/2 cup at a time) into the waffle maker and cook until golden brown (about 3 minutes). Serve each waffle with granola and maple syrup!
Nutritional information per serving (1 waffle):
Fat: 7.2 grams
Carbohydrates: 47 grams
Fiber: 4.5 grams
Protein: 9 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 8