Craving pancakes but can’t bear eating all of those calories first thing in the morning? Make these healthy flaxseed pancakes, made with peanut butter and healthy flax!
When I think pancakes, I think giant stacks of fluffy buttermilk cakes topped with a few tablespoons of butter and about a cup of syrup. Growing up, pancakes were something you ate on the weekends because, well, that’s what they looked like. They were so decadent, the only time you could eat them was a Saturday morning, when a nap was in your very imminent future. I love pancakes though and I’ll be honest, these gorgeous little stacks shouldn’t just see the weekend.
I’m here to bring pancakes back to the weekdays!
Subbing your normal healthy shake or protein cereal with a stack of pancakes on a Wednesday is a little bold, I get that. So you need to be really conscientious when making the sub. That’s why I created these super fluffy and insanely healthy flaxseed pancakes to help you kick that boring bowl of Grape Nuts to the curb.
Flaxseed is a nutritional powerhouse, my friends. A few teaspoons of this wonder seed has been shown to fight breast cancer, heart disease AND diabetes! At first glance, though, it can be a little intimidating. It’s not something you can just eat with a spoon. That’s why if you’re starting out with it, adding a few tablespoons to your favorite foods, like pancakes, to digest them (and soak up all of their healthy superpowers).
Really though, the reason for these pancakes is simply. It was a Wednesday and I wanted pancakes. That’s reason enough to make them, right?
CLICK HERE FOR THE PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE!
Serves about 4. Recipe inspired by Taste of Home.
Prep time: About 10 minutes
Cook time: About 6 – 8 minutes
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- Fresh whipped cream and blackberries for garnish
- Whisk the egg yolk in small bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and flaxseed. Make a well into the center of the bowl and add the milk, egg yolk, brown sugar, canola oil and applesauce. Stir to combine. Beat the egg white until fluffy and fold into the pancake batter.
- Preheat a griddle over medium-high heat. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle and cook until golden brown and bubbles appear on the top, about 3 minutes on each side.
Nutritional information per 2 pancakes:
Fat: 9 grams
Carbohydrates: 31 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Protein: 10 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 6
Tags:breakfast recipes, brunch recipes, flaxseed pancakes, healthy recipes, pancake recipes