Sometimes I’m so torn on what to share here, I take it to the streets. And by streets, I mean my Facebook fans. (Have you liked me yet? You can do that here!) It’s one thing to share something I like on here, but it’s not all about me. Surprisingly. I also like to share things that you guys like, because, well, without you, I wouldn’t be here at all. So yesterday, I asked if you wanted chunky mushroom dip or sweet and salty cookies. To my surprise, the dip won!
Well, I wouldn’t say surprise, if you guys had this you’d chose it immediately. I had no grand reason for making this either. I was a little bored Saturday morning, found a thing of mushrooms and some cream in my fridge and decided to make a dip. Because nothing goes better with french vanilla coffee than a huge, heaping chip-full of chunky mushroom dip.
Chunky dips are always the best. If there aren’t giant chunks of vegetables, fruits or chocolate, I’m really not that into it. That’s why I’m always on the lookout for a hearty chip that can hold its own against my heavyweight dips. That’s where these amazing Food Should Taste Good olive chips come in. They’re not only highly, HIGHLY addictive, they’re sturdy and have that same comforting, natural flavor that mushrooms do. Plus, they won’t crumble at the sight of this magnificent heaping pile of mushroom divinity.
Mushrooms don’t get enough love, in my eyes. I’m obsessed with these little fungees. Any shape, color, size. I think they’re so interesting. Their flavors so unique, earthy, natural. When I eat them, I don’t think of the city i’m living in, but the country. I think of hiking, crunchy leaves and crisp, mountain air. Isn’t it strange how certain foods can transport us to a better, happier place?
If love shrooms and happy thoughts, make this dip. Just don’t pair it with coffee. Let’s just say I found one thing mushrooms DON’T compliment.
Chunky Mushroom Dip
Serves about 4.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2/3 pound mushrooms (about 14 mushrooms)
- 1/3 cup light cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 tablespoon italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs for garnish
- Melt butter in a medium size skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add in mushrooms and cook until soft, about 5 more minutes. Whisk in the flour and heat another minute.
- Gradually add creams, stirring well after each addition. Heat another minute or so, or until thick. Remove from stovetop and stir in seasonings.
- Serve immediately with your favorite Food Should Taste Good Chips or breads.
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat: 8.25 grams
Carbohydrates: 5 grams
Fiber: > 1 gram
Protein: 2 grams
Weight Watchers points: 3