On the third day of my newest blog series, Santa came to me, pleasssee help me lose weight! I’m getting so fat, I can barellyyy, fit into my pants, dear Claire, please make me skinnny! (Sung to the tune of the 12 days of Christmas). When the man of the hour tells you to help him lose weight, you do it. I don’t want coal in my stocking. So, Santa, I’ve made you the perfect skinny sweet to fuel you up for your long night of squeezing your overweight arse into chimneys. Cranberry banana oat mini muffins!
Aren’t they just the cutest things you ever did see? Now, many would argue that a muffin isn’t a “sweet” per-say, and to those naysayers I say “It’s my blog! I can do what I want!” Because that’s how 27 year olds act! Regardless of your version of a sweet (or your definition of the word IS – come on, Bill Clinton anyone?) these mini muffins are the perfect bite size treat for your breakfast or your midnight munching.
Each muffin is loaded with oats, cranberries, almonds and bananas, so you’re not only getting a ton of fiber in each bite, but tons of disease fighting antioxidants too! Santa is legitimately traveling all over the world, going into strange homes and dealing with a ton of temperature changes, so he needs food that will help him thwart off bacteria and viruses. This is why these healthy mini muffins are the perfect snack for his journey.
Unlike many healthy muffins, these don’t taste like dirt, bark or dust! Each bite is sweet, tart and a bit crunchy, with the perfect balance of fruit to delicious whole grains. Santa, these muffins will help you fit back into those skinny red pants in no time. Plus, they are mini! So you can take a few for the road. I know Santa, I totally do deserve that brand new Nikon for Christmas 🙂
Cranberry Banana Oat Mini Muffins
Yields about 32 mini muffins.
Prep time: 5 – 10 minutes
Cook time: About 16 minutes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- About 3 mashed brown bananas
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the center.
- In another bowl, beat the sugar, egg, milk, vanilla, mashed bananas and applesauce together creamy. Pour bananan mixture into the well of the flour and mix until fully combined. Stir in cranberries and almonds.
- Fill each mini muffin cavity about 2/3 the way full with batter. Bake for about 16 – 18 minutes, or until golden brown.
Nutritional information per serving (2 muffins):
Fat: 5 grams
Carbohydrates: 17.5 grams
Fiber: 1.2 grams
Protein: 2.5 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 3