Brussel sprouts, you either love them or hate them so much you want to send them into a burning pit to never be found again. Clearly, I’m a fan. And now, after I tasted this amazing brussel sprout & chicken sausage soup, I’m going to be on team BS forever.
They are not only the cutest vegetable ever (a little baby cabbage, COME ON!) they taste absolutely amazing too! I’ve always loved them, since the days of my youth when I would ask the cafeteria lady for an extra scoop, sans the cheez whiz, while the other children watched in horror, their mouths agape. I was a bit of a freak, if you will. And clearly not much has changed because I had a bowl of this brussel sprout soup for breakfast with my mocha.
My favorite part of this soup is how VEGGIETASTIC it is. It’s literally filled to the brim with fiber rich, good for you veggies. I can’t even stand how good this soup is for your bodies, friends. Especially after you binge eat on mashed potatoes and heavy cream. This soup will set you back to your pre-Thanksgiving weight and will probably cure any ailment you have plaguing you.
Broken foot? Have this soup. Cough? Have this soup. Missing an eyeball? Have this soup. Honestly, you’ll feel like a BRAND new person after one hearty bowl. And it’s not only full of awesome things like fiber, protein and antioxidants, it’s delicious to boot! It’s warm and cozy and is the perfect healthy winter meal. Plus, you can add in leftover turkey in place of chicken sausage for a more leftovery type meal. See, I’m protesting the turkey and the thought of it makes me itchy, so I’ve moved on to other meats.
Oh, and this is made a crock pot! Healthy and easy, FOR THE WIN.
Brussel Sprout and Chicken Sausage Soup
Serves about 6 (2/3 cup servings).
Prep time: >5 minutes
Cook time: 3 1/2 – 4 hours
- 2 cups of brussel sprouts, quartered
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced chickens sausage
- 1/2 cup sliced rotisserie chicken
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the vegetables, chicken and chicken sausage and bay leaf into the basin of a crock pot. Pour broth over the mixture and add crushed red pepper, salt and pepper.
- Set crock pot on medium and cook for 3 1/2 hours, stirring every hour. Reduce heat to low and cook an additional hour, or until all vegetables are soft. Serve immediately with crusty bread or dinner rolls!
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat: 8. 3 grams
Carbohydrates: 9 grams
Fiber: 8.1 grams
Protein: 18. 3 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 4