Before we begin, I have to share a few photographs.
Welcome to the dreams I’ve been having the past 3 days. Like clockwork, whenever my eyes shut and I reach that deep REM sleep, my dreams take me onto the pristine beaches of the Caribbean, where I do such things as ride on boats, play bongos with the natives and rollick around with 6 pack abs (it’s a dream, duh). Then, when I’m awoken by the sound of the horrendous alarm, I’m back here.
Le sigh. Whenever I have dreams like that, it’s always a sign I’m getting a little stir crazy and complacent. So, it looks like it’s time to plan a trip. Where? Not sure yet, but I’ll let you know when I find out.
NOW, onto fun, delicious things, like skinny Super Bowl apps! I love the Super Bowl but the food is always so….boring. Same ol dips, same ol’ main course, blech. So, this year, I decided to up the ante on my menu and create one filled with gourmet little finger foods and healthy, hearty chili’s. To kick off this great week of apps, I bring you…
Chive, apple, gouda and honey stuffed pockets. Fluffy, crispy and perfectly gooey, these are perfect fancy finger foods for your Super Bowl soiree.
I know Gouda and apple aren’t often front runners in the Super Bowl menu, but trust me, they should be. The tartness of the apple, the sweetness of the honey and smokiness of the Gouda makes the perfect flavor combination. Plus, nestled inside a flaky phyllo shell and you have some perfect little pockets.
In addition to being awesome, these little pockets are super light. Each little puff has less than 100 calories and 5 grams of fat.
Definitely beats that bright orange Velveeta crap any day, but maybe that’s just me 🙂
Recipe adapted from Food Network.
Mini Gouda Apple Honey Puffs
Prep time: 55 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yields: 24 triangles
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry
- 1/2 green apple, finely chopped
- 2 ounces smokey Gouda cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Defrost puff pastry by removing it from the package and letting sit, room temperature, for about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Unroll pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface and cut into 12 4inch rectangles. Cut each rectangle in half down the middle to create 24 triangles.
- Mix apples, chives and honey together. Add salt. Scoop about 1/2 teaspoon apple mixture into the bottom of the largest part of the triangle. Place one piece of cheese on top and fold pastry shell so that the bottom is closed but the top remains open, like a pocket. Repeat until all shells are filled.
- Bake for at least 15 minutes or until shells are golden brown. Enjoy with extra honey or on their own!
Nutritional information per triangle: 95 calories, 5 grams of fat, 14 grams of carbohydrates, 1 gram of protein, 1 gram of dietary fiber and 3 Weight Watchers Points Plus points.