Today wins the award of being the most annoying day of my life.
Ah, much better. I think what also helped was a bite of these soft, chewy and full of tangy raspberry flavor bars. Honestly, they are absolutely heavenly. Heavenly enough to almost cure the horrendous day I had.
I think what makes them absolutely divine is the use of both fresh raspberries and raspberry perserves. (PS. fresh raspberries look WEIRD up close, don’t they?)
Not like that’d ever happen, but you get my sincerity. I just enjoy the farmy, earthy flavor
the whole wheat flour gives to it’s desserts and baked goods. And paired with the tart raspberries and the crunchy almonds, it’s like the best thing ever. Fresh, fruity and full of farm house goodness.
Now, please excuse me as I take a big, Claire size bottle of wine to the face and weep.
Adapted from Weight Watchers.
Whole Wheat Almond Crumble Bars
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 17 minutes
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (can sub in cinnamon)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup oil (canola or vegetable works)
- 3/4 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup low sugar raspberry preserves
- Additional almonds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside
- Whisk flour, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, almonds and salt together. Add egg and oil and mix well until a wet, moist crumble forms. Save at least 1/2 cup. Press crumble into the bottom of the baking dish until an even layer forms.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until crust begins to brown a little.
- Meanwhile, mash fresh raspberries and raspberry preserves together. When crust is done baking yet still warm pour fruit over it. Cover with remaining 1/2 cup of crumble. Garnish with additional almonds and bake for 18 minutes, or until fruit is bubbly.
These are perfect breakfast bars or fabulous with low fat ice cream for dessert. Or, you know,
great for those days you forgot your lunch or those days when you feel like drinking a botttle of wine for dinner yet need something with a little substance. Really, just good for whenever.
Nutritional information per bar: 180 calories, 5 grams of fat, 31 grams of carbs, 3 grams of protein, 3 grams of fiber and 5 Weight watchers Points Plus points.