Eat Skinny Be Skinny: Pomegranate White Chocolate Pancakes
I haven’t had a pancake I didn’t like. Banana, whole wheat, oatmeal, apple, raisin, pumpkin, spinach, you name it, I love it. Growing up, my family used to make pancakes every weekend. Well, by we I mean my dad. I would just stir in the chocolate chips and eat the batter 🙂 Some of my favorite memories of my childhood take place in the kitchen on Saturday morning, making pancakes from scratch with my dad. And even to this day, I can’t make mine as good as his.
But alas, I try. And I think I’ve finally scratched the surface with this recipe, which I’ve deemed “Christmas Morning Pancakes.”
Oatmeal pomegranate white chocolate chip pancakes. What’s more Christmas than that? When I was whipping up this concoction, I had no idea how it was going to turn out. Not because the ingredients aren’t amazing, but because I’ve never used a fresh pomegranate before! I’ve read horror stories on how hard it is to de-seed these fruits so I was a little apprehensive. But honestly? Seeding was easy. The hard part was the clean up. These pretty little fruits are REALLY FREAKIN’ MESSY. I can’t tell you how many times this fruit squirted me in the eye, leaving me temporarily blind. Plus, it stained every clean kitchen towel we own a bright pink color. But, they are pretty to look at, dontcha think?
As messy as they were to clean up, the pomegranate seeds were my favorite part of this recipe! They gave each soft, chewy pancake a delightfully tart, bitter crunch!
These pancakes are also really good for you! They are made with no butter or oil, whole wheat flour, oatmeal and nonfat milk! A healthy and pretty breakfast! Make this on Christmas morning and enjoy with a delicious cup of nog (spiked, of course).
Pomegranate White Chocolate Pancakes
Yields: 6 large pancakes
Prep time: >10 minutes
Cook time: About 5-8 minutes per pancake
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh pomegranate juice
- 2 – 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2/3 cup white chocolate chips
- Cooking spray
- Mix oatmeal, flour, baking powder, brown sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, beat eggs, milk, pomegranate juice and vanilla extract. Make a well in the oatmeal mixture and pour egg mixture in gradually. Mix in with flour mixture between each addition. If mixture is too dry, add additional milk. Stir in white chocolate and pomegranate seeds.
- Coat a medium pan in cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Scoop about 1/3 cup of batter into the pan and cook until pancakes are browned on each side, about 5-6 minutes. Serve with extra seeds and enjoy!