Oh, hey guys! I know, I’ve been MIA since Wednesday over here. As I alluded, this next week of my life is going to be MADNESS. PURE MADNESS, I SAY! However, just a lettttle while longer. (I know, very ambiguous, but I’ll share soon!) So, what’s happened to me since my last update?
I got my hair did 🙂
I’m officially a red-head again! I honestly can’t tell you how much I love my new hair. It’s SO me. It’s vibrant, young and so cosmopolitan. Safe to say, I’m going to be a red head for the rest of my life. And that’s okay with me 🙂
I baked & cooked, A TON
As some of you may know, in addition to being a writer for the Food & Recipes section of She Knows, I’m also now a recipe creator for them! It’s always been a dream of mine, at one time pipe, to get paid to write and eat. And it’s happening and I’m so happy! So, I baked & cooked up 12 different appetizers which will all be live on She Knows in the recipes section this week!
WHEW! I’ve been busy! Plus, our big walkathon for work is on Saturday so it’s crunch time here! But, I’m not going to leave you hanging like last week with no new recipes! And, with Thanksgiving just a week away, it’s time to start planning what we’re eating! With that, I have to share my new favorite veggie dish, homemade low fat creamed spinach.
I know, I’ve been gone for a week and I’m comin’ atcha with creamed spinach. But trust me friends, this stuff is AMAZING. It’s creamy, it’s cheesy…need I continue? Plus, it contains all of the amazing health benefits of spinach, like the 13 flavanoids that help fight cancer, protect against age related memory loss, prevent heart disease and also has a great source of magnesium, which helps lower high blood pressure! If you could care less about the health benefits, just make it for the delicious taste.
Although regular creamed spinch is not a diet breaker, one heaping cup can have up to 350 calories and 16 grams of fat! By swapping out low fat milk for heavy cream and part-skim parmesan for regular, you save nearly 100 calories and 6 grams of fat! Put this easy and delicious side dish on your Thanksgiving menu. Even those people who hate the green stuff will not be able to stop eating it! (I know this from personal experience with my husband).
Low Fat Creamed Spinach
Yields: About 2 one cup servings
Prep time: >10 minutes
Cook time: 7-10 minutes
What You’ll Need:
- 1 block (about 8-10 ounces) of frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 gloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of 1% milk
- 1/3 cup of grated part-skim parmesan
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Dashes of salt and pepper for taste
How to Make it:
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add onion and garlic and cook until browned and soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add spinach and cook until warmed, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In another sauce pan, add butter and flour, stirring constantly. Slowly add milk to mixture and heat until it thickens, about 2-4 minutes. Quickly stir in cheese, salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over spinach mixture and stir. Serve warm! (Even better with a crispy piece of bread!)
Who said healthy couldn’t also be absolutely delicious? Happy Thanksgiving preperation!
Nutritional information per 1 cup: 200 calories, 8.5 grams of fat, 10 grams of protein, 15 grams of carbohydrates and 3 grams of dietary fiber.