How did you spend the first official day of summer? Laying by the pool? Grilling steaks on an open flame? Drinking margaritas? Sailing on a yacht in the Carribbean? Sigh. If you answered yes to any of those, I’m coming to stay with you. Okay? Okay. I took my little pup on a very long and very sweaty walk. It was definitely more fun for him.
This is his “walk me mother” look.
And this is his Vogue look.
When we got back, Oscar immediately plopped down on the cold tile floor and fell asleep. Such a rough, hard life he leads. While Oscar was snoring away on the middle of the kitchen floor, I chopped, minced and grilled my stash of summer vegetables.
Unlike a lot of my normal peers, I’m OBSESSED with vegetables. I love them. Although the thought of eating a giant serving of grilled and carmalelized vegetables for dinner was incredibly appetizing, I knew my husband wouldnt’ share the same enthusiasm. So I decided to re-create a pasta dish I found on How Sweet It Is since my husband is a major carbi-vore. The end result was an absolutely perfect mix of pasta + fresh summer vegetables.
It was a win-win for both of us 🙂 The perfect dish to kick off a beautiful summer!
Fresh Vegetable Linguine
What You’ll Need:
- 1/2 box of linguine
- 1/2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 can of basil soaked tomatoes
- 2 ears of corn, grilled
- 1 cup of mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon of basil
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- Dashes of salt and pepper
How to Make It:
- Boil 6-8 cups of water. Once water is rapidly boiling, add salt and pasta and cook until al-dente. Set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, peel the skin away from the corn. Brush oil on ears and stick on the grill and cook until browned. Once corn is completely cooled, use a knife to cut off the kernels and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium size sauce pan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and cook until soft. Add zucchini & mushrooms, cook until vegetables are browned and soft.
- Mix vegetables, kernels, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, herbs and pasta. Serve while still warm and enjoy!
This is the perfect summer dinner. It’s light, incredibly satisfying and perfect with a glass of Chardonnay. I may have found my go-to summer staple. That is, until tomorrow when I fall in love with something else.
I’m fickle, what can I say?
Nutritional information per 1 cup of pasta: 350 calories, 7.5 grams of fat, 32 grams of carbohydrates and 4 grams of protein.