I had a hankering for some peanut buttery goodness last week and for not just a typical peanut butter cookie either. I wanted something thicker, denser, more flavorful and heartier. However, here’s the kick, it had to be healthy. I had a size 6 dress to zip up on Saturday and Lord knows that wasn’t happening without some drastic diet changes. So after a bit of
searching stalking on Tasty Kitchen, I found the perfect remedy for my PB craving that was actually healthy: peanut butter bread made with whole wheat flour! Thank you Jesse’s kitchen!
And you can’t have peanut butter without organic cherry jam, right? The bread was perfectly moist and had just the right amount of peanut butter to give it that nutty flavor. The only complaint I have about this recipe is the bread comes out VERY crumbly. I had to eat it with a fork most of the time! But the flavor and consistency otherwise was perfect. So next time you’re not sure what to bring for lunch, stick a slice of this in your lunchbox with a dash of jam and you have yourself a much improved PB & J!
Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Bread
What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cups granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- ⅔ cups peanut butter
- 1-½ cup skim milk
How to Make It:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add peanut butter and milk and stir until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool completely before you slice and enjoy with some organic jam!
Perfect afternoon snack or breakfast, if you ask me! 🙂 Even if you didn’t, I’m telling you since it’s my blog. So HA. (Please forgive me, I’m hungry and tend to get delirious when I haven’t eaten lunch).
Nutritional information per piece: 220 calories, 5 grams of fat, 37 grams of carbohydrates and 7 grams of protein.