I’ve been missing Italy HARD lately. But let’s get serious, I’ve been missing it since I left. That country has a strong hold on me and I’m already counting down the minutes until I can visit again. Let’s take a mind vacation for a minute, shall we?
Oh sweet, sweet Florence, how I long to be in you once again. (Sounds a little dirty, aye?) Because I can’t stop thinking of Italy, I decided to eat like I was still there. We all know how much I love making and eating bruschetta, so I wanted to take those ingredients and that flavor and make a sandwich out of it! I don’t believe in sandwiches for dinner, but this one was definitely worth breaking that rule.
Basically, it’s a grown up grilled cheese but what really makes it is the fresh basil leaf and fresh mozzarella. Even though I put 2 basil leaves on each sandwich, I still didn’t taste much basil. So my only recommendation would be to add another leaf to each sandwich. Other than that, these sandwiches are delicious! They only take about 10 minutes to bake and cost less than 10 dollars to assemble! Talk about a fresh, easy and budget friendly dinner! Serve with your favorite Italian vino! (I miss the fact that wine is only 5 euros over there).
Recipe makes 2 sandwiches.
What You’ll Need:
- 4 pieces of sourdough bread (cut into sandwich slices)
- 4 slices of fresh tomato
- 2 round slices of fresh mozzarella
- 4 basil leaves (or more for taste)
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil
How to Make Them:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Brush one side of each piece of bread with olive oil. Stack bread (olive oil side facing down) with basil leaves, tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until bread is browned and cheese is gooey. Let cool for a second and then eat on up!!
The bread was crisp, the cheese was gooey and the tomatoes were still juicy enough to leave you needing a napkin. This is a sandwich that is perfect for all ages! I can see this becoming a summer staple at my house, for sure!
Nutritional Information per sandwich: 314 calories, 12 grams of fat, 30 grams of carbohydrates and 13 grams of protein.