I absolutely love beef stroganoff. It’s one of those amazing dishes that tastes good anytime of the year! It’s also one of those dishes that, no matter how hard you try, you just can’t make it as good as your mom or grandma. However, I did a bit of dabbling in this recipe to lighten it up and am incredibly pleased with the turnout! Instead of using heavy cream or full fat milk, like the original calls for, I swapped in low fat sour cream! There is one down side to this dish though, but it has nothing to do with the taste; it just doesn’t photograph well. Brown cream sauce + brown meat + mushrooms = ugly. Once again, when it comes to food, the taste is ultimately what matters, and it tasted GOOD. I’m not on Top Chef yet, so I feel like I can have some ugly food if it tastes better than sex. Right?
Low-fat Beef Stroganoff
What You’ll Need:
- 1 lb flank steak, cut in cubes
- 1 tbsp. of all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. + 1 tsp. canola oil
- Spaghetti noodles or egg noodles, about 2 cups
- 1 cup of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. brandy, cognac or dry red wine
- 3/4 cup of low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup of low fat sour cream
- Sprinkle of salt n’ pepper [anyone remember that band?]
How to Make It:
- Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in a skillet. Place beef in and cook until both sides are browned and middle is cooked through, but rare. Take off heat and place on a cutting board.
- Place mushrooms and onions in the oil/meat juices. If needed, place additional tsp. of oil in pan. Cook on medium heat until veggies are soft and browned, about 8 minutes or so.
- Pour flour into veggie mixture and stir around. Add in broth, wine/brandy and red wine vinegar and cook until sauce has thickened. Add in sour cream and stir until sauce is think and bubbly. Add in meat and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Serve over spaghetti or egg noodles and enjoy! [It’s seriously amazing, so, um, don’t judge a book by it’s cover!]
Nutritional Information per 1 cup serving: 400 calories, 17 grams of fat, 40 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber.