I’ve been seriously craving mushrooms lately. I know, a weird/strange/awkward craving to have. But lately, I just have wanted nothing more than a big bowl of sauteed mushrooms or a grilled portobello burger. As a pretty heavy carnivore and certified sweet tooth, to crave nothing but mushrooms for a week was a bit bizarre. To satisfy my temporary fungus addiction, I decided to re-try the stuffed portobello cap route. As you may remember, we had a bit of a mishap with our first attempt that is still lingering at the bottom of our stove. Elliot was weary of this due to the horror of a mess the first batch made, but I’m happy to report that these did not spill and burn into our RENTED stove. They turned out absolutely, freaking to-die-for. I’m really happy I only made 2 for each of us b/c I would have probably eaten about 45 more.
Mediterranean Stuffed Mushroom Caps
What You’ll Need:
- 4 portobello mushroom caps [find some that aren’t puny like the ones I used!]
- 3/4 cup of diced plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of diced olives
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese [part skim]
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of low sodium worcestershire sauce
- Pinch of fresh rosemary [or dry]
How to Make Them:
- Preheat broiler.
- Remove the stem and inside brown gills from the mushrooms.
- Mix tomatoes, cheese, olives, 1 teaspoon of oil, rosemary and salt into a bowl. Set aside. [Try not to eat 3 spoonfuls like I did. It took serious restraint not to eat the entire bowl].
- In another small bowl, mix second teaspoon of oil, worcestershire sauce and lemon juice.
- Place the mushroom caps stem side down on the broiler pan. Brush with the oil/lemon juice on the caps.
- Bake at 400 for 5-6 minutes on each side. Once cooked, stuff mushroom caps with the tomato/olive mixture.
- Bake for 3 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Enjoy!! I had mine with a cup of steamed mixed veggies for a delicious and light vegetarian meal!
Nutritional Information per cap: 130 calories, 8 grams of fat, 7 grams of protein and 2.5 grams of fiber.