There is something so comforting about oatmeal. Whenever I am sick, tired, feeling blue or mopey, one of the first foods I turn to is oatmeal. I’m not sure if it’s the consistency, the flavor or the nostalgia I feel after I take my first bite, but oatmeal never fails to help me relax and enjoy the moment. Although I’ve been known to eat oatmeal for lunch and dinner, I’m also absolutely obsessed with it as dessert! As much as I enjoy the traditional oatmeal raisin recipe, it’s fun to switch it up every now and then and switch out the raisins for cranberries, almonds, M & M’s and my favorite, chocolate chips! Why not turn two amazing cookies into one? I brought these with me to Christmas and my grandma enjoyed one every morning with her coffee! The main ingredient is oatmeal, after all, so I’ll argue it’s a breakfast food!
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
How to Make Them:
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Combine butter and sugars into another bowl and cream.
- Stir egg and vanilla into butter mixture.
- Add flour and oatmeal mixture into the butter mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon cookies onto a greased baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Nutritional Information per cookie: 125 calories, 6.5 grams of fat, 2 grams of protein and 2 grams of fiber.