It’s all about good fall cookin’. [Yes, I said cookin'.] Although the weather is still not perfect by my standards, there was a bite in the air today that got me excited! So yesterday, I made one of my old time favorites, chicken with cream mushroom sauce and mashed potatoes. This was one of my favorite dishes as a kid and it always made me feel warm and cozy inside. This chicken recipe has a Claire twist, of course, and half the fat and calories as the original [and still uses heavy, whole cream!] I know I’ve kind of gone comfort food/fall nuts on the blogs, but I just can’t help it. After the summer we had, some delicious and warm cozy comfort food and weather below the 100’s just makes me happy. And as I’ve said before, happiness is the key to life and good health, both mentally and physically.
Skinny Mashed Potatoes
- 6 medium size red skin potatoes
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 2 tbsp. margarine
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fill a large pot or dutch oven with 6 cups of water and set to a boil.
- After watching potatoes, quarter them
- Place quartered halves into water and boil until softened [be sure they aren't too soft, i.e. falling apart at the touch]. Drain and then place back into original pot.
- Pour milk and margarine into the pot and beat until whipped to your preferred consistency
- salt and pepper to taste!
Nutritional Information: 315 calories, 11 grams of fat and 5 grams of protein.
Cream of Mushroom Chicken
- 2 5-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and tenders removed (see Tip)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shiitake andmushroom caps
- 1/2 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth, or dry white wine
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives, or scallion greens
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper then place into the pan. Cook, turning once or twice, for about 15 minutes. Take off pan and keep warm. [Place in a preheated oven].
- Slice up green onion and mushrooms and measure out 2 tbsp. green onions [remaining can be used as a garnish]
- Place onions and mushrooms into the pan, cooking until the mushrooms are tender, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in wine and simmer until almost evaporated. Then pour in broth, cooking until reduced by about half, or 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add cream and stir.
- Return the chicken to the pan and simmer until the sauce is thicker. Cover chicken with sauce and serve.
Nutritional Information per chicken breast: 275 calories, 15 grams of fat, 25 grams of protein and 1 gram of fiber.