I had quite the productive weekend [I found my wedding dress!] so yesterday, the last thing I wanted to do was cook an elaborate and complicated dinner for my boo and I. Although the idea of a delivered pizza or sodium-infused Thai food was quite tempting as the hours passed, I knew an easy, yet healthy, dinner recipe was a better bet. And I was right! This dish is SO easy, like 4 steps easy, and it’s absolutely delicious! Beats the cheese off Papa Johns any day! If you don’t have time to make your own pesto, a store bought variety will do just as fine! Just be weary of the fat content [one serving of some pre-made pesto has almost 30 grams of fat!] Recipes courtesy of Eating Well & All Recipes.
Easy Pesto Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/3 cup BUITONI® Refrigerated Pesto with Basil
- 3 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line baking sheet with heavy-duty foil.
- Prepare basil-pesto [see below]
- Place chicken and pesto in medium bowl; toss to coat. Place chicken on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Remove from oven; top with tomatoes and cheese.
- Bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutritional Information: 271 calories, 12 g.m. fat
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves, (2-3 bunches)
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large clove garlic, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place basil, walnuts, Parmigiano-Reggiano, oil, water, garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor; pulse a few times, then process until fairly smooth, or to the desired consistency, scraping down the sides occasionally.
Nutritional Information [per 2 tablespoons]: 83 calories, 8 g.m. fat, 2 g.m. protein