I’ve always been obsessed with Self magazine, however, as of late, I’m 100% addicted. What really tipped me over the edge from love to obsession is their amazing recipe database. They have thousands of recipes, all healthy and good for you, featuring really different and unique ingredients. As I searched this week for a new dinner recipe, I came across this delicious, and different, take on a chicken skillet. I plan on making it this weekend for Elliot and his friend!
Ginger-Lemon Chicken Skillet
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bow-tie, rotini, angel hair or thin spaghetti [your choice of pasta!]
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 thin slices lemon
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest [from peel]
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice [or from the bottle]
- 1/2 cup low-sodium nonfat chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 small carrot, peeled and sliced thinly
- Dash of freshly ground pepper
- Cook pasta until it is al-dente.
- Combine chicken, lemon slices, zest, ginger, garlic and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Stir broth, honey, soy sauce and cornstarch in another bowl until honey dissolves.
- Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a large skillet. Cook broccoli, tomatoes, carrot and pepper, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes soften [about 5 to 6 minutes]. Add broth mixture and cover.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until water has evaporated [2 to 3 minutes].
- Warm remaining 1/2 tsp oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat; carefully add chicken and marinade. Cook and stir occasionally until the chicken and lemon slices brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add vegetables and sauce.
- Simmer until chicken is cooked through and sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir chicken and sauce into pasta and serve.
Nutritional Information: 600 calories per serving, 8 g.m. fat, 52 gm. protein