To me, steak isn’t something that is often associated with ‘healthy’, ‘low-fat’ or ‘diet’. When I think steak, I think a celebratory meal with a huge baked potato, some buttered bread and a nice piece of chocolate cake. Sure, my ideas of steak may be skewed, but it’s not a protein that is often found in my meals. I’m trying to lose weight, friends, and red meat just isn’t conducive for that [or so I thought!]
Well, my theory and my assumptions were shattered today when I came across a delicious recipe I just KNEW I had to try. And yes, you guessed it, the star in center stage is none other than my frenemy steak. I was hesitant at first, but after viewing the nutritional facts and reading the reviews, I knew this salad would become a dinner staple this nutritionally strict summer! This recipe is courtesy of Recipe Zaar.
Thai Steak Salad
- 8 ounces sirloin tip steaks
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- romaine lettuce leaf or 1 baby greens
- Preheat broiler or grill.
- Sprinkle the sirloin with soy sauce and rub it into the surface.
- Broil or grill until done to your liking, about 5 minutes on each side for rare. Let the steak relax for 10 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain.
- Toss with the onion and cucumber and red bell pepper. In a small bowl combine the lime juice, fish sauce, garlic and hot pepper sauce. Taste dressing and add sugar to taste.
- Pour over the salad an toss well to combine. Arrange the salad on lettuce and serve warm.
Nutritional Information: 166 calories, 9 g.m fat, 13 g.m. protein