Sometimes, a girl just needs a muffin.
A big, crumbly topped, super fruity and fluffy bakery style muffin. Such a craving hit me two weeks ago and instead of spending over $5 on a muffin, I decided to make some at home instead. For one, that $5 would double because I’d have to order a fancy no-whip flavored mocha and water to go with it. Of course, after waiting in line for about 10 minutes, I’d clearly pick up a few packets of those over-priced mints and ridiculous biscotti to enjoy after lunch. Before I even realize it, I’d be out $20. And when you’re trying to save up to buy a house in the third most expensive city in the country, ever $20 counts.
Which is also why I made pizza last night instead of ordering out. Trust me, homemade pizza beats out delivery every second of the day, but when you’re feeling lazy and have been in the kitchen all day, ordering just sounds SO much better. But I won out and my homemade pizza was incredible (I should know, I had 3 slices). The $20 I would have spent on pizza is now shoved nicely into my little “house” piggy bank.
Sadly though, in this area, my little piggy bank needs to be 6x the size it is now in order to afford anything remotely appealing, safe or desirable. Which is why every single dollar bill counts now. That’s why I’m trying even harder to find a more steady income, just so I can buy a house with a refurbed kitchen and a fenced in backyard. I know, this sounds a little crazy, but I want to settle. Well, not settle, but have a place of my own to call home. As much as I love to travel the globe and leave every few weeks, I love having a place to come home.
Which is why we’re going to throw away WAY more money than we should on a perfect little home, complete with three bedrooms (one for an office and one for the future heartbreaker/crazy child of ours), a beautiful kitchen and a backyard with a fence and a little deck. I’ve been running for so long, I just want a place I can plant my feet for a little while, that’s all.
Bakery Style Blueberry Muffins
Yields about 12 muffins. Inspired by Baked Perfection.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 16 – 18 minutes
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flours, baking soda, brown sugar and cinnamon. Make a well in the center of the flour and mix in the eggs, oil, applesauce, vanilla and Greek yogurt, mix to combine. Carefully stir in the blueberries and lemon zest.
- Fill each liner about 3/4 the way full with batter.
- To make the topping, mix the sugar, flour and cinnamon together. Using a pastry knife, cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse sand. Top the batter with the crumble topping.
- Bake for about 20 – 22 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information per serving (1 muffin):
Fat: 10.1 grams
Fiber: 1.7 grams
Protein: 4.75 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 7