Chocolate Pumpkin Olive Oil Muffins
Grab one of these delicious chocolate pumpkin olive oil muffins for your busy morning breakfast! They taste so good, you’ll never know they are light!
I’m not a news watcher. In fact, I’d rather watch ANYTHING else than news. Now, I don’t live under a rock. I have an iPhone with the CNN app. Anytime something happens, I get an alert. And to me, that’s really all the news I need. I don’t need to hear eye witness accounts from 15 people. I certainly don’t need to hear Republicans and Democrats arguing with each-other for 6 hours because they can’t agree on something. Sadly, my hubby’s job is directly related to the government so the news was on FOR 7 HOURS last night as we watched the “SHUTDOWN COUNTDOWN.”
Which is also why I consumed half a bottle of Merlot and caught up with Teen Mom 3 on my computer. This whole shutdown business kind of bugs me. When my hubby doesn’t work, well, he doesn’t get paid. Luckily he has like 300 PTO days saved up so he’ll be fine if the government stays down for a bit. But you know what? That sucks! Why should he have to use his vacation days that he’s earned by working ALL THE TIME because stupid old men can’t agree on something?
Just talking about it pisses me off. I mean, it’s human nature. We disagree. I’ve gotten in many an argument with friends and family. But you know what? My decisions don’t affect an entire country. I think I would feel just a little bad if my decision was the reason thousands of employees aren’t getting paid.
But enough about that. Can we talk about these chocolate pumpkin olive oil muffins for a second? I LOVE olive oil with chocolate. It’s the most unbelievably amazing combination. Funny enough, I added olive oil to these because I ran out of applesauce and I hate canola oil. I honestly didn’t think they would turn out THIS GOOD.
Topped with luscious chocolate glaze and more chocolate chips, these muffins are so sweet they could be passed for cupcakes. But I’d rather call them muffins so I can eat 3 of them for breakfast without judgement stares.
Chocolate Pumpkin Olive Oil Muffins
CLICK HERE FOR THE PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE!
Yields about 16 muffins.
Prep time: About 5 minutes
Cook time: About 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- Dash of salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- About 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 cavity muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. In another bowl, beat the pumpkin, oil, vanilla, sugars and eggs together until creamy. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and add the wet mixture and stir to combine with a wooden spoon.
- Once mixed, stir in the chocolate chips. Fill each muffin cavity about 2/3 the way full with batter. Bake for about 18 – 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Whisk the sugar, butter, vanilla and skim milk together. Glaze each muffin and garnish with additional chocolate chips.
Nutritional information per muffin:
Fat: 8 grams
Carbohydrates: 38 grams
Fiber: >1 gram
Protein: 2.3 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 6
Tags:chocolate pumpkin muffins, chocolate recipes, fall recipes, olive oil recipes, pumpkin recipes
Love these muffins and I would have inhaled these with the bottle of wine.