Chocolate Pumpkin Olive Oil Muffins
Yields about 16 muffins.
Prep time: About 5 minutes
Cook time: About 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- Dash of salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 15 ounce can of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- About 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 cavity muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. In another bowl, beat the pumpkin, oil, vanilla, sugars and eggs together until creamy. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and add the wet mixture and stir to combine with a wooden spoon.
- Once mixed, stir in the chocolate chips. Fill each muffin cavity about 2/3 the way full with batter. Bake for about 18 – 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Whisk the sugar, butter, vanilla and skim milk together. Glaze each muffin and garnish with additional chocolate chips.
Nutritional information per muffin:
Fat: 8 grams
Carbohydrates: 38 grams
Fiber: >1 gram
Protein: 2.3 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 6