ESBS: Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Burgers
Last week I had an incredible craving for a big, juicy hamburger. However, since I can’t really stomach red meat anymore, a turkey burger was the closet thing I could actually get to a real hamburger.
And after one bite, I didn’t even miss my old time favorite. But what really made this juicy burger absolutely incredible was the ooey-gooey mozzarella center. Why just slap a piece of cheese on a burger when it’s so much more decadent stuffed inside? I don’t think I’ll ever go back to a regular burger again.
And if that’s wrong, than I don’t wanna be right.
Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Burger
What You’ll Need:
- 1 pound of lean ground turkey, defrosted
- 1/2 cup of part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup of bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons of fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of freshly minced garlic (about 1 clove)
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- Dashes of salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 buns, toasted
- Sliced tomato, lettuce and onion as garnish
How to Make Them:
- Preheat your grill.
- In a medium bowl, mix turkey, egg, Worcestershire sauce, bread crumbs, basil, oregano, onion, garlic and salt and pepper with your hands. Mix until evenly distributed.
- With the mixture, form 8 small patties. Combine 1/4 cup cheese and place an equal amount in the center of 4 patties. Cover with the remaining patties and crimp the edges closed.
- On a preheated grill, cook patties until brown and cheese is slightly oozing out of the center, about 8-10 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
You can’t have a burger without tomatoes, lettuce and bacon, duh. I also like to add ketchup, mustard and a bit of mayo.
Nutrition information per patty (no bun or toppings): 299 calories, 13 grams of fat, 14 grams of carbohydrates and 28 grams of protein.