Soft Baked Banana Nut Donuts
And I’m back again with another post any mama will love – SOFT BAKED BANANA NUT DONUTS.
Yes, they 100% deserve an all caps lock introduction. These moist, melt in your mouth donuts are probably one of the most delicious and decadent things I’ve made in a long time. And the best part? They only taste decadent – these little love bugs are actually lower in fat and calories than you think.
It’s my speciality ya’ll, of course. Making fatty things a little skinnier so we can we nosh without guilt. It’s bathing suit season after all.
At least where I live (humble brag). Moving along from donuts for a quick second, I just have to share my day yesterday. It was one of those perfect Sundays, one where we had no agenda and just did our own thing. We woke up, had a healthy breakfast, went to the beach to kayak and tan, stopped for side-street hotdogs loaded with luscious toppings, smoked fresh and flakey fish and red books on the patio with glasses of red wine. It felt like a vacation day. I didn’t stress at my computer, I barely looked at my phone.
It was the first thing, truly, that I felt like this place is home. And felt so incredible blessed I could hardly stand it. We live in a place people vacation to – and I’ve never had that before. Sure, DC was a huge tourist destination, but it wasn’t the place people escape to for relaxation, coastal breezes, long and leisurely brunches and historic carriage rides. It really hit me last night, on the patio, reading a book with a glass of wine. There was no tv on, no radio. Just the sounds of the frogs bellowing, the late-night birds chirping and the occasional splash of a turtle hopping into a pond. It felt like I was on vacation – but not. This is my home and this is my life. And holy cow – I’ve never felt so lucky and happy.
Okay, back to donuts because I’m sure you guys in colder destinations are building a voodoo doll of me as we speak. I hope this perfect donuts make up for it. They taste like a soft slide of banana bread, in an adorable and delicious donut package. Plus, the icing. THE NUTS. The perfect blend of crunchy, salty sweet. Make a big batch of these for Mothers Day and immediately catapult to favorite child in no time.
Soft Baked Banana Nut Donuts
CLICK HERE FOR THE PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE!
Yields about 8 donuts.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 – 11 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 medium bananas, smashed
- 1 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
For the glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chopped nuts for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally spray a nonstick donut pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and cinnamon together. Make a well in the center and add the egg, butter, applesauce, bananas, extract and cream. Mix until batter is fully combined. Carefully add in the nuts and mix just to incorporate.
- Using a spoon or piping bag filled with batter, fill the donut cavities about 2/3 – 3/4 the way full.
- Bake for about 9 – 11 minutes, or until golden brown (they should spring back when you touch them). Let cool for about 10 minutes in pan. Once cooled slightly, remove from pan and let cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, mix the glaze ingredients together (except for the chopped nuts). Dip or spread the glaze over the donuts then immediately sprinkle with nuts. Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional information per donut:
Fat: 5.6 grams
Carbohydrates: 28.5 grams
Fiber: 1.4 grams
Protein: 3.2 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 5