Fresh Strawberry & Mint Pie
It’s about time I wrote a blog post, right? But let’s rejoice in two things today, mmk? It’s FRIDAY and I made you a pie!
Not just any pie, a fresh strawberry pie piled with gobs of fresh mint from my garden. Before you think I’m one of those awesome green thumbs, I’ll tell you this. The mint was in our front garden when we moved in and it’s spread like a weed into our poor little flowers. I’m what you’d call an anti-green thumb. Basically anything I grow is either killed by me or eaten in seconds by rodents.
I actually get really jealous of people who have these incredible mini farms in their yards. Actually, our neighbor (an adorable elderly woman) has the most amazing spread in her backyard. Zucchinis, eggplants, green beans, plump tomatoes, squash – you name it, she’s probably growing it. And i get SERIOUS envy every time I’m back there hanging out on our patio.
I’ve decided though that next year will be my year. I will have a beautiful and fruitful garden if it kills me. I will grow produce that I can then turn into luscious recipes like this fresh pie. Now, as a resident of VA I’m fairly aware I probably can’t grow the luscious plump strawberries like my friends in California can, but god darnnit, I’m going to try!
I’ll keep you updated on my quest for green thumb status, don’t worry. In the meantime, I’ll use the grocery stores and farmers markets to provide me with my supply of awesome ingredients. Given my current gardening ability, that’s probably safest.
Fresh Strawberry & Mint Pie
Serves 8 – 10. Adapted from Taste of Home.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 homemade (or pre-bought) pie crust (I love this recipe)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure clove honey
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot (or corn starch)
- 1 package sugar-free strawberry jell-0
- 1 cup water
- 4 1/2 cups fresh sliced strawberries
- Handful of fresh mint, chopped
- *Optional: Drizzle of balsamic glaze (this is addictive)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a pie plate or foil pie pan with nonstick cooking spray. Prepare crust as directed if making homemade and place into the greased pie plate. Line the pie crust with thick aluminum foil and bake for about 8 minutes. Remove the foil, poke the crust with a fork and then bake another 5 or until golden brown.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk the sugar, honey, arrowroot and water. Whisk constantly over medium heat until thickened (about 3 – 5 minutes). (Note – it may take an additional 2 – 3 minutes using arrowroot than it would cornstarch).
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in the sugar-free jello. Whisk until the gelatin has dissolved. Chill slightly for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange the strawberries into the warmed pie crust. Pour the gelatin mixture over the strawberries until it reaches the rim.
- Chill for at least an hour then serve with chopped fresh mint.
Nutritional information per serving (1 slice):
Fat: 6.25 grams
Carbohydrates: 37.75 grams
Fiber: >1 gram
Protein: 2.125 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 5
Tags:dessert recipes, easy pie recipes, fresh pie recipe, strawberry pie, strawberry recipes, summer recipes