Tuna Couscous Salad
This light, fluffy and healthy tuna couscous salad is a great summer dish that’s flavor-packed!
I don’t think they’ll ever be a time in my life where I don’t crave healthy food over junk food. Of course, there are those occasional days when I’ve had too much wine the night before and all I could possible want is a hamburger with french fries. But no matter what, I always prefer salads to pastas and fresh fruit to candy bars. That’s just one of the reasons I was over the moon when Genova seafood asked me to create a nutritious dish using their premium tuna.
To me, tuna has always had a bit of a bad rap. For one, people never really associate canned tuna with anything gourmet. It’s something you buy to make cheap sandwiches or mix up for a snack. It may be budget friendly and easy, but it’s far from ordinary. Tuna is such an incredibly versatile ingredient. You can toss it in salads (like I did with this tuna couscous salad), mix it into casseroles, make gourmet ceviches and even cocktail party hors d’oeuvres. The possibilities are endless, which is why I’m always trying to find ways to incorporate it into anything I make.
Not only versatile, it’s also good for you, especially the Genova brand. It’s made from high-quality, premium grade Yellowfin tuna, is all natural and is packed in pure ,100% Mediterranean olive oil. If you’d like to try it, here’s a coupon offered by the wonderful folks there! I’m going to just say this once – STOP BUYING TUNA IN WATER. The olive oil adds even more healthy antioxidants, not to mention a freak ton more flavor. You’ll honestly be ASTOUNDED by how much better canned tuna in olive oil tastes.
The wonderfully generous people at Genova not only sent me some of their tuna to try, they sent a gift basket with tons of other Mediterranean goodies, like wine, a cookbook, pesto, tri-color couscous and more. As soon as I unwrapped the basket, I immediately knew I was going to use the couscous in something.
After a quick stop at Whole Foods and $100 later, I had the most beautiful radishes, bean sprouts, sunflower leaves and more to create a fresh, and delicious, salad.
To help inspire you to create your own Mediterranean inspired dish, Genova seafood is giving away a gourmet gift basket to one of my readers! One of you will receive the same goodie basket as I did with enough loot to get you excited to cook up a healthy and gourmet tuna dish. To enter, follow the prompts below. Make sure to share your creation with me using the hashtag #realisticrecipes!
Tuna Couscous Salad
CLICK HERE FOR THE PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE!
Serves about 6 – 8.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Total time: 28 minutes
- 2 cups tri-color couscous
- 2 (7 ounce) cans of Genova seafood tuna, lightly drained and flaked
- 1/2 cup high quality olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/3 cup chick peas
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- About 2/3 – 3/4 cup fresh greens
- 4 – 5 fresh chives, chopped
- Liberal dashes of sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Bring 4 cups of water to a rapid boil and add a dash of salt. Toss in the couscous and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and cook for about 12 minutes, or until the liquid is evaporated. Remove from heat and fluffy with a fork or spoon. Place in a large bowl.
- Add in the radishes, chick peas, bean sprouts, fresh greens and chopped chives. Carefully mix in the tuna so it’s fully incorporated.
- In another bowl, whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt and pepper together. Pour the oil dressing over the salad and mix to combine. Add in additional salt and pepper to taste.
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat: 16.2 grams
Carbohydrates: 37.8 grams
Fiber: 4.2 grams
Protein: 10.4 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 9
To enter the giveaway, simply fill out the prompts below! Ends Wednesday, July 1st at Midnight. GOOD LUCK!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Steph - http://nourishmeclean.blogspot.com
looking for. You have ended my 4 day lengthy
hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye
I say to you, I definitely get irked at the same time as other people think about concerns that they just do not recognize about.
You controlled to hit the nail upon the top as
smartly as outlined out the whole thing without having side-effects , other people could take a signal.
Will likely be again to get more. Thank you