It’s about 16,560 degrees outside and I’m asking you to turn on your oven. I know, I’m evil. But trust me, one thick, soft and moist slice of this raspberry lemon bread and you’ll welcome that puff of hot air when you open your trusty oven.
Well, maybe not welcome it, but you’ll be glad you spent that 45 minutes sweating over the stove. That I can promise. It’s like a glass of ice-cold lemonade in soft bread form.
I’ve been busy (no surprise) lately, in a very good way. I don’t know what lucky door I opened, but I’ve been welcomed with some truly life-changing opportunities lately and I can hardly believe it. From amazing food-related opps for this blog to epic adventures abroad, I’m pinching myself daily.
In addition to that, I’m starting another venture (because I don’t have enough to do) with my great friend Kita. We can’t share details yet, but imagine a place on the web with stories and a million beautiful photos of our constant travels.
In the meantime, I’m going to continue to bake, cook, stir and shake so I can provide you guys with some healthy and delightfully light recipes for this insanely hot summer. From this bread, to the refreshingly delicious cocktail I have for tomorrow and some spicy enchiladas on Friday, y’all are going to be very well fed.
Now please excuse me while I stuff 34 slices of this bread into my mouth at my desk. Thank god no one can see past my cube walls. *Holds head in shame whilst wiping crumbs from my face*
Raspberry Lemon Quick Bread
Serves about 10 – 12. Adapted from Taste of Home.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 – 55 minutes
Total time: About 65 minutes
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup low-fat Greek yogurt (I used 2%)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups raspberries
- Melted white chocolate for glaze
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a standard size loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and lemon zest. In another bowl, beat the yogurt, sugar, egg, lemon juice and applesauce. Mix until combined. Pour the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- In a large stand mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold into the rest of the batter. Once egg whites are folded in, carefully fold in raspberries.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan. Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Drizzle the top of the loaf with white chocolate and garnish with sliced lemons.
Nutritional information per serving (1 slice):
Fat: 2.75 grams
Carbohydrates: 32.5 grams
Fiber: 2.4 grams
Protein: 6.25 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 5