Whole Wheat Sugar Cookie Bars
Serves about 16. Recipe adapted from I Heart Nap Time.
Prep time: About 10 minutes
Cook time: About 22 – 24 minutes
For the bars:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg white
For the frosting:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- About 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8 glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flours, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the butter, applesauce, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla, egg and egg white. Beat until fluffy and combined. Fold in the greek yogurt and mix until fully combined. Add the flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Just be careful not to overmix.
- Pour the cookie batter into the prepared baking pan. Using a spatula, flatten the top of the batter so it’s smooth. Bake for about 22 – 24 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting by beating the butter, powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Once bars have cooled, spread the frosting over them and sprinkle heavily with rainbow sprinkles. Cut into about 16 bars and enjoy.
Nutritional information per bar:
Fat: 7.6 grams
Carbohydrates: 50 grams
Fiber: >1 gram
Protein: 3.3 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 8