Turkey Meatloaf with Low Sugar Cranberry Sauce
Yields: 8 (1/8 inch) slices and 8 1/2 cups of sauce
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cook time: 50-60 minutes
What You’ll Need:
For the meatloaf:
- 1 1/2 pounds of 98% fat free ground turkey, defrosted
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of ketchup
- 1/3 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup of Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of crushed red pepper
- Liberal dashes of salt and pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon oregano
For the cranberry sauce:
- 4 cups of fresh cranberries
- 1 cup of no sugar added cranberry juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup raw cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of freshly grated orange peel
How to Make It:
- To make the meatloaf: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place enough aluminum foil into a loaf pan to cover it. Liberally grease foil with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix meat, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup and broth with your hands (or spoon). Once mixture is combined, thoroughly mix in eggs. Once mixed, add in breadcrumbs, salt and pepper, crushed red pepper and oregano.
- Pour meat mixture into the greased loaf pan. Garnish with additional salt, pepper and oregano. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a meat thermometer registers 170 degrees. Let cool before removing from foil.
- To make cranberry sauce: While meatloaf is cooking, bring cranberries, sugar and cranberry juice to a boil in a medium sauce pan, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and cook an additional 5-8 minutes, or until cranberries have popped (they will literally make popping noises!) Add in cinnamon and additional sugar to taste. When done, add in orange zest and enjoy!
Paired with some parmesan & wine green beans and you have a fabulously healthy, delicous and perfectly un-traditional Thanksgiving feast!
Nutritional information per 1/8 slice of meatloaf and 1/3 cup of sauce: 270 calories, 8 grams of fat, 25 grams of protien, 29 grams of carbohydrates and 2.5 grams of fiber.