Sweet Potato & Nutella Donuts
Yields 6 donuts. Donuts inspired by SheKnows.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: About 15 minutes
For the donuts:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (about 2 medium size ones)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons light cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 2 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 -1 tablespoon milk
- About 1/2 cup chopped pretzels
For the filling:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. To make the donuts, beat the applesauce, butter, eggs, vanilla, sugar, sweet potatoes and cream together in a KitchenAid mixer. Beat until creamy.
- In another bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon together. Add the flour to the butter mixture and beat until mixed. (DO NOT OVERMIX! The batter will come out gummy).
- Grease a nonstick donut pan with cooking spray. Fill each cavity halfway with dough. In the middle of the cavity (right on-top of the greased metal part) add a teaspoon of Nutella. Cover the Nutella with more sweet potato dough. (The cavity should be filled to the top with dough and you should see no Nutella or metal).
- Bake for about 13 – 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Let chill on a wire cooling rack for about 5 – 6 minutes.
- While the donuts bake, mix the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, milk and butter in a mixing bowl until creamy.
- While the donuts are still a bit more, glaze with cream cheese. Top with crushed pretzels.
Nutritional information per donut:
Fat: 9.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 55 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Protein: 7 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 9