Strawberry Basil Scones
Yields about 8 – 10 scones. Recipe adapted from Port and Fin.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: About 20 minutes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup raw brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure clove honey
- 2 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 2/3 – 3/4 cup chopped basil
- 2 1/2 cups chopped strawberries
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup light cream
- Glaze for drizzling (I used this recipe)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease with nonstick cooking spray. In another bowl, toss the strawberries with the brown sugar and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, almond meal and baking powder. Add the butter to the flour mixture and cut it in using a pastry knife until it’s coarse (and resembles sand). Stir in the applesauce, milk, cream, honey, preserves and mix until a soft dough forms. Gently fold in the strawberries and basil and mix just enough to blend (you don’t want the strawberries to bleed or the basil leaves to bruise).
- Using a large spoon, scoop out a heaping spoonful of dough. Using your hands, gently roll the dough together (it’ll be a little crumbly still) and drop onto the parchment paper, leaving an inch or so between each scone.
- Once all have been scooped, place in the oven and bake for about 20 – 24 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool slightly on the parchment paper and then move to a wire cooling rack.
- Once completely cooled, drizzle with glaze and serve with speckles of strawberries.
Nutritional information per scone:
Fat: 9.7 grams
Carbohydrates: 33.5 grams
Fiber: 1.5 grams
Protein: 4.1 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 6