Spicy Chicken, Vegetable and Noodle Soup
Serves about 8. Pasta recipe from The Little Kitchen.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 60+ minutes
Total time: About 80 minutes
For the soup:
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 12 ounces baby bell mushrooms, sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped & seeded
- 1 large zucchini, sliced and then quartered
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 cans (about 14 1/2 ounces each) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes (not drained)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 whole roasted chicken, cooked and shredded (can sub in rotisserie chicken if you’d like)
- Few sprigs of fresh thyme
- Few sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Few springs of fresh sage
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bean sprouts for garnish
- Cilantro for garnish
For the noodles:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 – 4 tablespoons water
- To make the pasta, place the flours, salt, eggs and water into the bowl of a standing mixer. Turn on medium and start mixing until fully combined. Note, if the dough is too dry, add additional water, but in teaspoon increments. After about 2 – 3 minutes of mixing, attach the dough hook. Mix for about 2 minutes. Then remove the dough from the bowl and place on a very floured surface. Using your hands, knead until soft and elastic. Cover with a damp cloth and let rest for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Once rested, cut the dough into chunks. Fit your KitchenAid with a pasta making roller attachment. Using a rolling pin, roll out one chunk of dough at a time (careful to keep the other dough covered so it doesn’t dry out between use). Carefully push the rolled out dough through the roller. I did this about 3 times to get a very smooth and thin sheet of pasta. Once you’re happy with the thickness, attach the spaghetti and fettuccine attachment. Carefully push the rolled out pasta through that until you get strands.
- Using a pasta drying rack, dry the pasta noodles until ready to use.
- To make the soup, heat the olive oil over medium high head. Add the onions and cook for about 2 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for about one minute. Add the butter and stir in the mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, celery, jalapeno and bell pepper. Cook on medium heat for about 3 minutes, or until the vegetables start to tenderize.
- Gradually add in the broth, diced tomatoes and lime juice, stirring well. Mix in the fresh herbs and salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 8 – 12 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Add in the chicken and simmer another 2 – 4 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta in batches and cook until al-dente. Rinse in cold water and add to the large bowl of soup or serve separately. Add some bean sprouts & cilantro for garnish and enjoy!
Nutritional information per serving (about 1 cup of soup):
Fat: 3.8 grams
Carbohydrates: 12 grams
Fiber: .5 grams
Protein: 3.5 grams