Spicy Chicken Tagine
Serves about 4. Adapted from Spiceame Cooks.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: About 90 minutes
- 3 pounds chicken thighs, skin-on and bone-in
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 3/4 – 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons spicy red harissa
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Morrocan seasoning
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2/3 cup olives, pitted*
- About 2 cups cooked quinoa
- Chopped herbs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions, leeks and garlic. Cook for about 4 minutes, or until onions start to sweat and garlic is fragrant. Add in the chicken and mushrooms. Cook another 3 – 4 minutes, or until the skin starts to brown on each side of the chicken. Mix in the harrisa and liberally coat the vegetables with the spicy paste.
- Reduce heat to medium and add in chicken broth, water, Moroccan seasoning, salt and cracked pepper. Toss in olives and stir to coat.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 25 – 30 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is fully cooked inside (165 degrees F in the center).
- Serve over cooked quinoa with chopped herbs.
Nutritional information per serving (1/2 cup quinoa + 1 chicken thigh):
Fat: 11.75 grams
Carbohydrates: 22.5 grams
Fiber: 6.8 grams
Protein: 19.5 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 6