Sour Cherry, Burrata & Wheatberry Salad
Serves about 4 – 5. Dressing recipe slightly adapted from Epicurious.
Prep time: 6 – 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
For the salad:
- 1 cup hard wheatberries, rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Dash of salt
- 6 ounces burrata cheese
- 8 ounces sour (or regular) cherries, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
For the dressing:
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh basil
- In a saucepan, mix the wheatberries, water and dash of salt together. Bring to a rapid boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer for an hour, stopping to fluff and stir the berries every 20 or so minutes. Let cool.
- Once cooled, mix the wheatberries with the cherries, burrata and walnuts (carefully to not bleed the cherries).
- In another bowl, whisk the lemon zest, lemon juice, honey and dijon mustard together. Using a whisk, add the olive oil one tablespoon at a time, whisking well after each addition. Mix in the chopped basil and salt and pepper. Drizzle the salad with the dressing and serve immediately.
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat: 20.4 grams
Carbohydrates: 32 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Protein: 12.8 grams