Roasted Vegetable and Quinoa Stuffed Squash
Serves 2. Inspired and adapted by Rachel Cooks.
Prep time: 15 – 20 minutes
Cook time: About 1 hour
- 1/2 large butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup tri color quinoa
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large apple, chopped
- 2 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh cilantro or herbs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a standard size casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Scoop out the seeds from the butternut squash and discard. Liberally sprinkle the squash with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast for about 35 – 40 minutes, or until fork tender. Let cool slightly then carefully scoop out the flesh from the inside of the squash. Chop the flesh into bite size pieces and set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring the chicken broth and quinoa to a boil. Add a dash of salt. Reduce to medium low and simmer until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is soft and fluffy. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl. Mix in the softened butternut squash.
- In a skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over medium high heat. Add the shallot and garlic and cook until just translucent, about 3 – 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir into the quinoa and squash. Toss in the chopped apples, chopped bacon and salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F. Scoop the quinoa mixture into the the hollowed squash. Top with parmesan cheese and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with more cheese and fresh herbs.
Nutritional information per serving (1/2 squash):
Fat: 15.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 64 grams
Fiber: 6.8 grams
Protein: 18.5 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 13