Roasted Chicken Noodle Soup
Serves about 8 – 10.
Prep time: 40 – 50 minutes
Cook time: 1 1/2 hours
For the roast chicken:
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 pounds), defrosted
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 bunch of fresh herbs, like thyme and rosemary
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted and melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut in quarters
- 4 carrots, cut into quarters
- 2 stalks celery, cut into fourths
- Salt and pepper
For the soup:
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of fresh herbs (like parsley, rosemary, thyme & dill)
- 2 cups cooked egg noodles
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Remove the giblets from the inside of the chicken and discard.
- Rinse the chicken thoroughly inside and out. Pat dry. In the cavity where the giblets were held, add 1 lemon half, two quarters of the onion, 2 quarters of carrots and 2 fourths of the celery. Stuff in an assortment of the fresh herbs and add salt and pepper. Using kitchen twine, tie the legs together and carefully tuck the wings to the body of the chicken.
- Rub the melted butter all over the skin of the chicken. Liberally sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the chicken into a roasting pan. Add remaining vegetables and herbs around the chicken and drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast for about 1 1/2 hours or until the juices run clear. Remove from the oven and let rest for about 20 – 25 minutes.
- Once rested, slice the chicken and then shred the meat with two forks. Save the drumsticks and wings for later, but use all of the shredded meat for the soup.
- To make the soup, bring the chicken broth and water to a boil. Toss in the chopped carrots, mushrooms, celery, onion and a bunch of fresh herbs. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce to low and simmer for about 20 – 25 minutes. Toss in chicken and noodles and simmer another 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with additional herbs for garnish.
Nutritional information per serving (about 1 cup):
Fat: 7.2 grams
Carbohydrates: 8.2 grams
Fiber: 3.4 grams
Protein: 22 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 5